About us - history
It all began in 1986 with a leather sewing machine, a car and the first sample shoes from Birkenstock. Gabi Deerberg, a qualified leather worker, receives leather remnants from the local upholstery company and makes some fashionable trousers out of them. News of her tailor-made products soon got around Velgen and its outlying areas. Demand for the fashionable trousers soars. In the evenings, Gabi and Stefan Deerberg visit their clients and simultaneously come up with the idea of offering comfy leather shoes as well. The quality of the products, the personal service, and "all-round care" work in harmony together. Success was quick to follow, sales volumes went through the roof.
The start of the mail-order shoe business
The family bedroom and living room served as warehouse and workshop. Besides the sewing machine, the car was the most important piece of equipment. If a visit from the Deerbergs and their products had been arranged, the details of the appointment quickly spread among the clients' network of family, friends and acquaintances. So many people were interested and open to their products, which always get a positive reception, that deliveries and shoe fittings soon came to resemble Tupperware parties.
It quickly became clear that the Deerbergs will have to make this business their priority if they are were to manage all the accumulating work. Stefan Deerberg, a qualified aircraft constructor, gives up his job. Very soon Gabi Deerberg will also give up her sewing role to concentrate solely on the business itself. Since one car can only cover so many kilometres, the Deerbergs switched to a mail order service.
- The first problems: Starting something new is always hard
- 1988: The first warehouse in Velgen
- 1989: The first Deerberg catalogue
- 1990: Expanding the range – the first clothing is added to the mail order service
- 1994: Deerberg moves house
- 1995: National advertising campaign
- 2004: Work and Family audit
- 2005: Warehouse expansion
- 2006: 20-year anniversary
- 2007: First re-appraisal of the Work and Family audit in Berlin
- 2007: Deerberg Switzerland
- 2008: Relaunch of the Deerberg website
- 2008: From a small shop a large flagship store is born
- 2009: Deerberg Sweden
- 2009: Lindgren Hus – the trainee project
- 2009: Deerberg Austria
- 2010: Responsibility
- 2010: Second re-appraisal of the Work and Family audit in Berlin
- 2011: We celebrate 25 Years Deerberg and relaunch the shop